Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving Poem


Hello Everyone,

I realize Thanksgiving is still a week away, but I thought I would go ahead and post a poem of Thanksgiving to start the Turkey week of right! I hope you enjoy it and have a very happy Thanksgiving! 
Officially the biggest squash I have ever seen!

I may be spending Thanksgiving here in East Timor,
But there are certainly many things that I am thankful for.
This year I am a pilgrim who voyaged to a foreign land,
And discovered something greater than I could have ever imagined.

I may not gobble a 10 pound turkey,
But my eyes can feast on the incredible scenery.
Mountains, valleys, fields and plains,
No snow or cold, just sun or rain!
Weekend trips to the ocean,
And swimming in November-what a notion!

I live in a convent surrounded by nuns,
But who knew sisters could be so much fun?
Days filled with fun, prayer, games and laughter,
I finally found my happy ever after.

Communication barriers, bumpy roads and car sickness
Make this an experience I will never forget.
Don’t worry mom and dad, I don’t feel lonely,
The geckos, mosquitos, and slugs like to keep me company.

I won’t see floats in the Macy’s parade,
But in the clinic I’ll administer first aid.
No favorite food fresh from the oven,
Instead, I’ll dish out medicine.
No football games on t.v.,
I’ll be outside soaking up Vitamin D.
No alarm to set for black Friday shopping deals,
Though I’ll be awakened early anyway by pig squeals.

I won’t be home with family and friends,
I’ll be playing instead with dozens of orphans.
We’ll sing and dance and laugh all day,
That’s something to be thankful for-wouldn’t you say?

This year no mashed potatoes or candied yams,
But I’m still so grateful to be where I am.
And so for all these blessings I say “obrigada” (Tetum for thank you),
What more could I want? Zip. Zilch. Nada.
To loved ones back home- I thank God for you every day
Please continue to pray for my mission here in Timor-Leste!

1 comment:

  1. you're adorable, and so was that poem :)
    thanks for the poem, it was great!

    ps: i've been thinking of you for the past few days...we had our first snow fall of the year two days ago!! i know you're not a big fan of the snow, but its beautiful here

    ReplyDelete