Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas!

Please read Christmas Eve post first for continuity....




I attended 8 a.m. Christmas mass with the sisters this morning. For some reason I didn’t expect it to be crowded, but, just like last night, the place was packed! Today, however, the whole service was just an hour and a half long. I guess to make up for the fact that mass started 10 minutes early last night, mass started 20 minutes late this morning. The opening song was to the tune of “Oh Christmas Tree”. Surely they weren’t singing about a Christmas tree for the opening song of Christmas mass! They also sang Joy to the World and Gloria In Excelsis Deo, which I enjoyed hearing again. Interestingly, the light display that lit up the nativity scene in the back of the church played music that could not be turned off, so for the entire duration of the mass the congregation was serenaded to the tune of “Silent Night” playing over and over again.

Father Manuel’s homily was long-as usual-but apparently it was very good. I asked Sr. Brigida what he had said later during snack time. He referred to examples in the Bible of God showing his awesome power. Nothing is impossible for God! He also described our heart as having a door on it with no handle. This means that God can’t simply come into our hearts, we have to open the door and invite Him in. He urged us to invite the Lord into our hearts this Christmas. I was happy to note that I had already done that! She said he also told a story about some people who saw Jesus. They asked Him what gift He had brought for them. He opened his arms and said, “Me!”

After mass I decided to walk around Venilale and take pictures of the precipios. In East Timor, families do not decorate their houses with light displays. However, many families get together to build an elaborate nativity scene called a precipio. The precipio often includes a stable, the Holy Family, signs wishing passersby a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and lights that are illuminated at night to make it really shine! Families place a stereo inside the precipio and gather to eat, drink and be merry all week leading up to Christmas! Each precipio is different, but all are unique and beautiful! I found 9 on my walk on Christmas Day!

I thoroughly enjoyed my Christmas walk around the village of Venilale. I greeted everyone with warm wishes, and most people cheerfully returned my friendly greeting. Several kids joined me on different segments of my walk. They were fascinated by me, a malae. Their boisterous, happy, carefree nature and laughter was contagious and really put a sparkle in my already fantastic week.

Lunch was absolutely delicious! I entered the dining room 5 minutes early to help set up. Plate after delicious plate was dispensed from the kitchen. After each plate came out, I was sure that was all that would be served, but there was a very long line of dishes to be eaten! There was grilled chicken, pork in a spicy sauce (reminded me of Indian food I have tasted), fried calamari, a mayo/corn/peas/beans mix, spaghetti with cheese sauce, kankun, eggplant parmesan, and white rice, of course! I had a little of everything except the last 3 things.

I joined the sisters at the convent down the hill for afternoon prayer and dinner. We had a nice time together and I really enjoyed their company. After dinner we watched Christmas Day mass at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome on tv. I watched in awe as I remembered with fondness my visit there just 1 year ago! I couldn’t believe I had been there! As the camera panned out to show the interior, I was blown away by its beauty. I had actually seen that in person?! Wow, just incredible. Again, I was mystified by God’s goodness. Last year I was in Rome and had no idea where I would be a year from then. Now, here I am in East Timor. I still feel as if I must be dreaming!

I would like to close this post by listing a few similarities and differences in the Christmas celebrations here in East Timor.

1.        I have already noted my favorite East Timor celebration-the building of precipios! I even spotted a precipio right in front of the police station! Unfortunately, this would NEVER happen in 21st century America!
2.       Yes, I am living in a community with sisters, so my viewpoint is a little biased, but there seems to be a very strong emphasis on the true reason for the Christmas season here in East Timor. Advent, the four weeks leading up to Christmas, is a very special and meaningful time of prayer and preparation for Jesus’ coming commemorated in the Catholic church. East Timorians take this season very seriously and several events are offered to help spiritually prepare oneself for Christmas Day.
a.       Novenas-In the last 9 days leading up to Christmas, novena prayer services are held in churches throughout the country. These are half an hour in length and include singing, prayer and a short Bible reading with a reflection on the passage by the priest.
b.      Retreats-the Salesian sisters hold half-day retreats at churches in nearby villages. These retreats can include lectures and discussions on various topics. One discussion was about how increasing globalization has changed the meaning of Christmas here in East Timor. The retreats end with a mass and confession.
c.       Christmas Eve and Christmas day mass-growing up, I only remember attending 1 or the other. Yes, people attend both in the U.S., but I don’t believe it is very common. Here, it is expected to attend both masses.
d.      At the church in Venilale there was only one Christmas Eve mass, but I am sure this varies depending on the size of the church. A new tradition at Christmas Eve mass for me was kissing baby Jesus!
3.       Presents may be exchanged among family members and special friends, but it is not really expected or very common. One of the sisters shared with me that children will give their godparents a special gift. Common gifts include exchanging livestock and crops. The Salesian communities exchanged baked goods with each other. Interestingly, taking family day trips to different cities in East Timor are becoming a popular Christmas traditiion.
4.       Interestingly, I saw wooden cutouts of Santa Claus’s alongside some of the precipios. People know who he is, but do not grow up believing he comes to their homes and brings them gifts. He seems to be just another decoration. The other day as I rode through Baucau I saw a man carrying a baby wearing a Santa hat! So cute!
5.       East Timorians put up decorations just a few days before Christmas. I know this varies from family to family in the United States, but growing up, my family always put out Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving so we could enjoy seeing them for the whole month leading up to Christmas. Here, no one puts up any decorations until Christmas week! I didn’t see many decorations or Christmas paraphernalia for sale at the local market, but I did see a few strands of Christmas lights. Almost every home has a small (artificial) Christmas tree.
Whew, sorry for such long posts, but I wanted to give you all a glimpse of how truly blessed and special my Christmas was! I pray that you all had wonderful celebrations with dear family and friends as well! You were (and still are) in my prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment