Monday, December 20, 2010

Psalm 23 Place


A few weeks ago, while out on one of my morning runs, I found the most beautiful, peaceful spot I have ever encountered. I have dubbed it my “Psalm 23 Spot” because it looks just like I have always pictured the scenery mentioned in that psalm.
The spot is located at the top of a very long, windy hill with a rocky path lined by tall trees. I had trekked up part of the hill on previous runs, but I had never had the time, energy or nerve to continue further. On a day when I was feeling particularly adventurous, I finally reached the summit. It took 30 minutes running at a quick pace to reach it, but it was well worth the effort.

As I neared the “summit”, I could see more and more sunlight around each twist and turn along the path. I kept telling myself that I would stop at the next turn, then the next turn, then the next turn, until finally I stepped into the glorious morning sunlight. The very first thing I saw was a wooden cross with a majestic mountain behind it. There were clouds surrounding the mountain, giving the rising sun that was shining through a mystical glow. It was beautiful! As I approached the cross, I could see there was a cemetery behind it filled with old, pastel-colored graves.

I continued walking another minute or so, and suddenly I had the most exquisite view of the valley and rice fields below, with towering mountains beyond that. I thought I must have reached Heaven! I’m sure I heard God whisper to me, “If you think this is AMAZING, just wait!” I have never in my life seen such a stunning view! Ahead of me I saw horses and sheep grazing on the hillside. Below, along the winding path, I could see people walking up (and eventually into town). I wondered if these people, who see this incredible view every day appreciate it as much as someone who is seeing it for the first time. Can you ever really appreciate something you have always had and known?

 I know I will never be able to describe it justly, but I pray that I can always remember it! As you can see from the photo I have included, I tried to take a picture to capture its beauty, but I am afraid no picture will ever do it justice. The glory, magnitude and sheer beauty of this place cannot be captured in a picture from a digital camera.

This past Saturday morning I decided to head up to my Psalm 23 spot and quietly reflect and pray for a while. I had a lot on my mind and wanted to sit down and try to work through some of these things. I found a fantastic spot with a great view. I sat down on a smooth rock in the glorious sunlight beside a babbling brook winding downhill. Everything seemed so peaceful, perfect and quiet.

My solitude was swiftly interrupted by the sound of laughter. Out of the corner of my eye I saw two little boys, about 8 and 4 years old, standing roughly 20 feet away from me. Their mouths were open in wonder, and they were just  gazing at me. Bliss interrupted. I shouted out a friendly, “Bondia!” and was greeted by more awed silence. I tried not to pay attention to them. I figured that after my novelty wore off, they would run off and play by themselves. I closed my eyes to try to focus and to make myself even less interesting to them.

No such luck. Once again, the silence was broken by their laughter. I soon discovered that they were playing a game in which the older boy would push the younger boy closer and closer to me, while the younger boy would try to resist. Within a few minutes, we were within a few feet of each other. My peaceful ponderings were NOT going according to plan.

How could I relax, meditate and sort through my problems with kids laughing in the background? I soon realized how ridiculous this question sounded. I recalled Jesus saying, Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these (Matthew 19: 13-15). He also said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3).  These kids weren’t a nuisance, they were a solution! I believe God sent them to remind me to just relax-some things don’t need to probed, pondered and figured out. We just need to have faith like a child! Kids have tons of questions, but they are also perfectly content to just BELIEVE, embrace and accept what you teach them. They don’t need to have all the answers to believe in something. They just do. I may have lots of questions and concerns, but when it comes down to it, all I need to do is let go and let God. God is in control. He just wants me to relax, trust Him and ENJOY life (like these kids).

Yes, sometimes we just need faith like a child. These kids are living in extreme poverty, yet I bet they don’t worry about what they will be eating at their next meal. They are carefree and are enjoying my presence. Whatever problem I am dealing with can’t be as extreme or severe as malnutrition. If the good Lord is providing for their needs, surely He is taking care of me, too. The very first line of Psalm 23 says , “The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.”

I pray that the Lord’s peace be with all of you this Christmas season. May you recognize God’s love, goodness and beauty in yourself, in others and in your surroundings. May you find rest, safety, strength, and courage in the New Year. Finally, may you be daily reminded, “The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want. My cup overflows.”

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.
In green pastures you let me graze;
To safe waters you lead me;
You restore my strength.
You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side;
Your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life;
I will dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come. 

2 comments:

  1. Keeland...Merry Christmas from the Jones Family!
    This is Jamie, and I want to say that your post brought me tears :) I love to see how God is working in you friend. I am praying that your day was filled with joy from the Lord. My favorite verse says:

    May the God of hope bring you all and peace, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. -Romans 15:13

    AND I pray He does! love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keelan this was beautiful! it reminded me of our trip to rock city or our first trip to The Mt. i doubt that those experiences come any where near what you witnessed. im just really happy that you were able to find this little piece of heaven on earth..both physically and in your mind! hope i can go there one day..perhaps go back with you! yes, i'm liking the way that sounds :)

    also, i feel like i can sense a change in you. a more grounded, humble, calming keelan and i am really loving it!

    ReplyDelete